Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Same...

Tonight's update comes from my mom. He's the same.

She's a little down in the dumps today as you can imagine. She's trying sooo hard. We admire her more than ever and it breaks our hearts to see her struggle with the day to day absence of her best friend. She never complains and knows that this is the reality of life. He picked a gem. It is what it is and we remain grateful for all the good in our lives. He's just so close - and yet so far.

So, on the lighter side of the news....Dr. "James", the GI doc, says he is a better than last time he saw him, just not out of the woods. He is off the blood pressure meds and is able to take more nutrition through the NG tube. However, he did have a slight fever today which later came down.

It's hard to get the every day up and down news. The fact that he is not awake does not help either, but it's better for him to be asleep than to be awake and be aware of the mess he's in. We get it.

Don't get discouraged - the same is good. It's stable. Stable just isn't that attractive right now.

So, please just keep envisioning him walking out of there and I know he'll do it for us. There was a lesson to be learned in everything my dad did. Patience, appreciation, perseverance, honesty, humility, the importance of keeping your sense of humor....

Knock, knock

Who's there?

Dad

Dad, who?

Oh my gosh, it's dad. Let him in!

Stupid, I know, but it made ME smile. He'll like it, too but I guarantee my brothers will make fun of me for it. It's not always easy being the funny one. (That's gonna cost me, too)

No comments: